Sunday, April 10, 2011

"CR01:" One Step Closer

Here it is, late on a Sunday night, and I realize next week begins weeks three of the spring quarter. Which means there has already been two weeks of material covered when it feels like only yesterday the class was getting started! Hence the title for today (as sung by Linkin Park) implies we are just that much closer to the end of our quarter. So, let's take a moment and look back at what has been covered. During the first class day, simple pleasentries were exchanged. That involved drawing a card and matching it to form a group, and I just want to take a minute to say that should be done more often. I realize a quarter flies by when only meeting a couple times a week, but it really helps put students at ease and, I think, makes the environment more comftorable to learn in, when forced into ice breaking situations. But, maybe I'm just biased because I enjoyed the two people I got to talk to! Also, I'm very interested in learning what significance the card will play later, since we were suppose to keep it. All funny stories and pondering of questions aside, though, the first day was a unique and enjoyable experience which offered a breif overview.

Day two, however, was a straight up lecture on the history of design focusing on key events such as the industrial revolution, architecture concepts applied from the Bauhaus, and the evolution of the chair from the early 1900's up until post modernisms influences appeared. I was interested in watching the evolution of design, at least in the manor which it was presented to us, because it helped emphasize the impact it has played on both a small and larger scale. Looking at some of the early inventions of items (such as the early toilets) illistrated the clear difference in ideas of design from person to person. To me, it started to stress the concept of functionality versus aesthetic value. Also, by discussing the Bauhaus, and then comparing them with a couple of buildings located on campus, it would seem that design in all respects, be it product based, architecture, graphic, etc works on reinventing designs in a slightly different way rather than making completly new ones.

Day three involved a brief disscussion to touch base on up comming assignmets and class progression thus far. This was followed by a tour of a couple of libraries around campus, which included the Wexner Center and Knowlton Hall. I don't have alot of deep insight conerning the tour, but I would like to note that I had actually not been inside of either and was impressed by both. I was very impressed to learn we were the only large scale college with a commic gallery. And perhaps even more impressed by the layout inside of Knowlton hall. I was taken back by how large the inside of that building felt. However, it was a very positive experience; I loved the feel overall, and I appreciated the opportunity to see/sit in the various chair covered in the prior lecture. I doubt I would have ever done so otherwise.

Day four, the most recent, was another lecture class. This one covered the three general programs offered by OSU and gave a little bit of insight into what each did and had to offer. This class was a boost in my confidence for my minor choice becaue I felt more than ever that a design field would mesh perfectly with an engineering degree. Based off of the product based designs, it seems like the most efficent and well working products would be thought of/built by someone who had extensive knowledge in both areas. With the expertiese of an engineer, a person could pick the optimal materials to create an effienct, working product. And with the help of their design background, could find a happy medium in the strength of the material in order to shape and mold the design into something marketable and sought after. Other note worthy considerations would be the general idea of some uniformity is needed within design. Based off of the part where we discussed various sign posts not being universal, I believe it probably applies to a slightly larger aspect of desgin than just that. It would be very important, I feel, for designers to understand their general customers and societies for which they work. It seems that some markets would be more suited to certain themes than others. And no matter how 'awesome' a design might be, it just won't work if it's being pitched to the wrong group. i.e. , Mr. manly isn't going to want a pink house with rainbows, unicorns, and magical fairies incorporated into it. Nor would a formal buisness, such as a banking firm, want a logo that appears to be done by a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment