Sunday, April 10, 2011

"JO2:" Beautiful America

Beautiful America, by Five Iron Frenzy. A decent song, and interesting band. They try to combine modern rock instruments and rhythms with a big band feel by using trumpets and other instrumentation. Which helps transition into this posting: interesting, man made patterns. I deliberately focused on all synthetic patterns created through industry.

* To save a little bit of time and writing, all of my pictures are assorted items found in or around my house, which is is about two miles from campus. All of which were also taken today, Sunday of April the 10th.

1) The following pattern comes from a (approximately) 23 inch, Sanyo box tv. I just happened to be walking by and I noticed the interweaving grid of straight lines. I enjoy the way it seems to fan out, each 'missing' row becoming longer and longer as the grid continues to replicate itself.


2) This example was just a good quality, mens basketball I own. What attracted me to this one was the concept of a pattern within a pattern. There is the obvious black lines which stands out immediately which have a fixed, almost mirror like, scheme. But the bounding of the ball is actually composed of microscopic, circle like structures. There has to be thousands of those spread over the entire ball.  



3) Yep, this one is as simple as it appears to be. It is nothing my than the brick siding on my house. I chose this one because I don't think the significance of the design/functionality of an alternating brick layout should be underestimated. It was placed in that position to increase the strength/stability and aesthetically, it looks sharp.


4) Honestly, I'm not sure what to say about this one other than I just thought it looked really cool. Is an arm of a comfortable desk chair, and I liked everything about it from the cool scheme, to the texture of it, especially the curvature/angles used in the design, and even the multi-holed pattern on top. It suits my personal taste very well.



5) This image portrays an electric razor. I primarily chose it for the honeycomb structured pattern. It had a glossy finish, which makes it reflect light pretty well (as seen in the picture) and that coupled with the repeating hexagonal pattern seemed to be mesmerizing if you stare at it long enough.


6) This one might be my favorite of the pictures that I took. The image is a shadow of a thin metal frame support that helps support the awning over the front door. The sun helped elongate the pattern, which formed altered geometrical shapes. Plus, the interweaving pattern gives the impression of various objects or possibly animals. For instance, I see a kite!


7) This picture came out a little blurry, so it might be hard to see the pattern. Its a simple light fixture mounted to the ceiling and I was impressed by the lines within the glass seem to start straight around the edges and slowly twist to converge at the center of the fixture which creates a spiral pattern and semi-optical illusion 



8) Another light fixture within the home. This one is pretty straight forward in the patterns (most of which are some form of a rectangle). However, the curved metal frame adds a nice contrast to the straight forward presentation, and I especially liked how the blue stained glass portion does not follow a fixed pattern. It adds a nice contrast with the color when compared to the geometric pattern.



9) This picture is pretty obvious, I think. It is the car wheel of my Honda Accord. I focused on it due to the circular feel to it. Obviously the tire is round, as well as the hub cap. But even the holes and the corresponding lug nuts are. Plus, I liked the ribbed/bowed out texture that lies on the arms.


10) This picture is of a typical rug. I chose it because, like previous posts, the pattern within patterns. Really, the entire piece is a big pattern consisting of several smaller ones. From the very fibers, to the line placement, and finally the overall picture of the repeating flowers. to me, it represents the shutters on a house with what might be vines/flowers growing on them. A very soothing and welcoming picture.




No comments:

Post a Comment