Saturday, April 30, 2011

"J05:" Cheers Darlin'

...Is brought to you by Damien Rice. If you guys have checked out any of the prior tunes, you will realize this guy is totally different from everything presented so far. He is in the folk genre and can easily impact your emotions/mood. Frankly put, the guy has a gorgeous voice. And I chose this one because the title makes me think of catching up with colleagues over a drink. And isn't that the point of peer dialogues? After reviewing the last peer dialogue session, I plan to keep this one about as simple. There are plenty of comments which could be made for each, but I think I'll limit myself to just a couple of thoughts/points. Also, in spirit of this 'peer dialogue' idea, I think I'll end my posts now with a question posed to my fellow group members. Might be fun to engage, eh? To be fair, Bridget inspired this idea from her post. So I think I'll dive in now, mentioning the various pictures/comments which tickle my fancy. And I believe I started with Bridget first on the prior posting, so guess what Dan? You're up first!

Your found faces posting was definitely entertaining. Loved the 'three eyed monster', and because of that, the child inside of me will forever be terrified of Parmesan cheese bottles now! As if there weren't enough scary creatures trying to get my inner kid already...Heh, but all joking aside, neat concept in the attempt to avoid a traditional face. For my second "thumbs up" to Dan, I looked to his post based on past designers. Specifically, Shiro Kuramata. It seems fitting giving the emphasis spent early on concerning chairs that his designer made a couple contributions of his own. Good call picking someone more modern, thus perhaps easier to relate to. And you provided some fine pictures of his work. I especially liked the dressers, with the extreme curvature. Reminds me of something you would find in a cartoon.

http://dancsp11.blogspot.com/

And of course, who could forget his partner in crime, Bridget? The first thing that jumped out at me was the lack of diverse postings. It is a bit hard to compliment and make conversation over pieces that aren't there! Of course, I tend to stay ahead on these assignments due to my course load, so I'm sure she will have all sorts of things posted after I get this done (I'd bet even by tomorrow, she will have some of the most interesting thoughts uploaded). So, I'll start with her designers as well. I noticed she had an eye out for architects, and frankly, I can't say I blame her. They have some of the most easily recognizable pieces (after all, you can't really hide a skyscraper). I picked 'Asymptote Architecture' for two reasons: the first, the partners started their company the year I was born. Good year, if I say so myself. But more importantly, I liked them due to the example of their handiwork which Bridget provided. That tower in Seoul is stunning. It appears 'futuristic' in the sense that it is sleek, and, well, if a building can be thought of as such, sexy. I feel it is cocky and boastful creation, but to be honest, I feel it has the right to be. And secondly, I just wanted to compliment you on the idea of posting questions for us to reply to within your peer dialogue. Never would have thought of that without reading your last post.

http://bridgetmears.blogspot.com/

With that thought in mind, I have to say my color palate is very open. If I had to chose a favorite color, I might say green? I don't necessarily have one, but I prefer dark hues of colors. If it is towards the white end of the light spectrum, I tend not to the object it is applied to very seriously. Dark blues, greens, and reds are the best with blacks and greys rounding them off.

So now I should think of a question. I will try to keep mine design related to help with grades for these posts. If you had an object in which you were to design, and knowing you could only optimize one of the two key components (form versus functionality), which would you choose and why? I'll always post my answer here as well. I would choose functionality. The short answer? I'm a wanna be engineer. But what I mean is I judge the value of objects by their use. And while I enjoy looking at paintings, or admiring shapes of chairs, I ultimately don't care how it looks. I want my design to work well because it is tangible to measure, as is its resulting value. Where as the form of the object is basically 'art' and is incredibly hard to judge its true value since it is completely subjective to perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Point of clarification? While I agree with all your comments on Damian Rice... I would not classify him as folk myself. Maybe "Singer/Songwriter."

    As for your question... Gotta agree on the function. I have little need for pretty pieces of crap. That stated though, the user's personal/emotional connection to a designed object/space/experience are key components of their function.

    ReplyDelete